Tuesday, December 15, 2015

December Finishes IV - Crochet Hook Case

This crochet hook case was an exercise from Hook to Heal by Kathryn Vercillo. The idea was to crochet something that I need. The act of making something so nice and also useful for myself was moving. Also it challenged my capabilities. I make lots of round things and lots of granny squares, but I didn't really know how to crochet a rectangle by turning the work at the edge. In fact, the cover is wrong in this respect, but the red border hides the edges.

 Here's the cover in progress
The inside consists of a lining, which I did correctly (except it was too small and needed an extra border), and a pocket. I divided the pocket according to the pattern, and it turned out absolutely perfect. It was almost scary how well it turned out. Between the lining and the cover are two pieces of mat board to stiffen the case.
The final touch was a flower closure with a loop of chain stitch to hold it closed. Even though I have crocheted many complicated flowers, I was at a loss how to do this one. I looked at all kinds of directions on the internet and didn't find any that I liked. Finally I just did the best I could, and I think it turned out fantastically well. Definitely a growth experience in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment